Meghalaya- A Potpourri of Beauty & Culture Confused about choosing your next travel destination? Wondering whether to go trekking in forests, or take a dip in blue lagoons or just relax by the beachside? What if we tell you there exists a magical land very much in India that offers all of these activities and many more without burning a hole in your pocket? Sounds dreamy, right? Well, pinch yourself to reality because Bhatakna is taking you all the way to the abode of clouds with our Meghalaya tour package!
Charming Landscapes If there’s one word for Meghalaya, it is exotic. It is one of the gems of Northeast India. Don’t get us wrong if we say it is one of the most beautiful seven sisters! That is because Meghalaya is a potpourri of vivid landscapes. It is indeed God’s own garden with lush green mountains, mysterious caves, sparkling rivers, and some majestic waterfalls. Being the recipient of maximum rainfall, Meghalaya has every hue of green in its forests. It surely is a photographer’s paradise.
Richness of Culture Home to the Khasi and Garo culture, Meghalaya boasts of its unique cuisines, vibrant clothing, and melodious folk music. Though it has a moderate climate round the year, the best time to visit Meghalaya is during autumn. It is then that the famous Wangala drum festival showcases the best of its culture. Its capital Shillong, popularly known as ‘The Rock Capital of India’, has a peppy evening vibe. With scrumptious food and jamming sessions, the cafes at Shillong are so charming they would surely leave you wanting for more. Apart from cafes, there are a lot of places to visit in Shillong. The Umiam Lake, Elephant Falls, and evergreen forests are a few major attractions. There is no doubt as to why the British named Shillong as the Scotland of East.
Most Scenic Villages of Asia Speaking of other places, the true essence of Meghalaya tourism lies in its villages. Here cleanliness is a culture that is practiced so dedicatedly, that the Village Mawlynnong is titled as the cleanest village of Asia! The Living Roots bridges at Nongriat Village are so mystical they seem to be straight out of some Peter Pan movie! Also, if you have seen those pictures of a slender boat over crystal clear waters then you already know what boating in Umngot River at Dawki Village looks like. But hey, only if looking at a picture was enough, we all would have traveled the world, right? Since that is far from being possible, you need to pack your bags and get ready to unravel the hidden beauty of NorthEast India with Wanderon’s Meghalaya tour package.
Explore With Bhatakna Whether you are a bunch of friends or you move solo, Bhatakna always takes care of your needs while designing the itinerary and Meghalaya Chapter is no different. We’ve curated the best Meghalaya tour itinerary so that you can enjoy every aspect of this beautiful place. All this and more at super affordable prices! So don’t just sit there thinking because we can already hear the abode of clouds calling! Join Bhatakna next Meghalaya batch and become a part of India’s coolest travel community!
- Beautiful accommodations
- Double Decker Living Root Bridges
- Experience a rich culture
- Boating in the Crystal clear Umngot River
- Bathe in Secret lagoons
- Visit and swim in numerous beautiful waterfalls
- A visit to the cleanest village in Asia
- Camping and bonfire by river
- Experience nightlife at “rock” capital Shillong
- Panoramic Laitlum Canyon
- Forest trail though sacred grove
Reach Guwahati airport latest by 12.00 pm. After a brief introduction, we will catch a cab to Guwahati. It is a 4-hour drive from Guwahati to Cherrapunji. Along the way, the sights are spectacular, with the lush green mountains of Meghalaya forming the perfect backdrop. We will stop at Umiam Lake on the way and soak in the beauty of this man-made lake that was created by damming the Umiam River. We then head towards Cherrapunji and spend the night there. Overnight at a Hotel
Early morning we head for a bath in Wei Sawdong Waterfall, you will fall in love at first sight of this three step waterfall. We then visit the Dainthlen Waterfall, gushing waterfall that cuts through the hard rocks and the high plateau of Sohra before it cascades down into lush forests.
Then we head to Mawsmai Caves for some caving, you do not have to be a professional spelunker to get a taste of Meghalaya’s cave systems. You do have to squeeze around and crawl which adds to the fun of cave exploration.
We will also visit the 7 Sisters waterfall – it comprises of seven different waterfalls amicably arranged side by side on a wide rugged cliff & Nohkalikai Falls – the tallest plunge waterfall in India. Overnight at a Hotel.
Wake up early in the morning and start our trek to the Double Decker Root Bridge & Rainbow falls. We will carry packed breakfast today.
The hike from Tyrna to Nongriat is a bit steep with around 3500 steps to reach the Double Decker Living Root Bridge, the walk is refreshingly green, once you reach you will forget all your fatigue. The living root bridge is a sight to behold. It takes generations to build these bridges.
For those who can ,we head towards Rainbow falls; it got its name because you see a small rainbow near the waterfall due to sun rays. It’s a 2 hour hike to reach the falls.
There are small secluded water bodies on the way to Rainbow falls which are perfect for a refreshing dip.
Hike back to the start point and back to our accommodation at Cherrapunji to the comfort of our beds and.
Early morning we checkout and move towards Mawlynnong
Mawlynnong – it won the award for cleanest village in Asia in 2003. On the outskirts of the village you can see the balancing rock – another of nature’s wonder.
Afterwards we visit Dawki to see the India – Bangladesh Border.
We then head towards Shnongpdeng to camp besides the Umngot River. The day ends with bonfire besides the River. Overnight Camping.
You all would have seen the images of the crystal-clear waters of Umngot River. The water is clear, you can peer into the bottom and count the stones – that is how the Umngot River can be described during the peak pre-monsoon, autumn, and winter seasons. Now it’s our time to go for a boat ride on this river. You can also opt for other adventure activities like for cliff jumping, snorkelling, kayaking etc.
There is also a bridge that spans the Umngot River and allows for fantastic pictures and perspectives
We then visit Krang Suri Waterfall on our way to Shillong. Krang Suri Waterfall is one of the most scenic waterfalls in Meghalaya. The cobbled path leading to the waterfalls are made from naturally coloured stones found in the region. On reaching the waterfall, we dive into the cold waters for a rejuvenating bath.
We reach Shillong by evening, freshen up and head out to enjoy Shillong’s nightlife. Shillong is also known as “Rock” Capital of India
Overnight at Hotel.
After breakfast, we head towards Laitlum Canyon. The name ‘Laitlum Canyons’ literally means “end of hills”. It offers panoramic views of the region embraced by the majestic hills and valleys.
We will have lunch at one of the many famous cafes of Shillong.
We then visit the Mawphlang Sacred Groves, visitors are not allowed to take anything away from this hallowed forest, not even a pebble or a twig. The forest will take you back to the primeval age.
We head back towards Shillong and go for shopping at Police Bazaar and explore some more of Shillong’s nightlife on our last night. Overnight at a Hotel.
Like all the good things this trip must also come to an end. After breakfast, check out from the hotel, we will visit wards lake in morning if time permits. Leave for Guwahati Airport. Say your goodbyes, this brings us to the end of an EPIC adventure and beginning of an era of travel stories with Bhatakna. Come back for more and more.
What is included in the tour
- Airport Transfers.
- All transport in a Tempo traveller or a Innova/similar.
- Accommodation on Twin Sharing Basis in Hotels (5N) & Camps(1N).
- Breakfast - Day 2 to Day 7, Dinner - Day 1 to Day 4.
- Entrance fees to all places listed in the itinerary.
- Boat ride at Umngot River.
- Bonfire at Shnongpdeng.
- Company of a fun & experienced Trip Lead.
- All permits.
- Bhatakna Merchandise.
- Post & Pre Trip Support
- Memories of a lifetime.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Train/ Air fare
- Lunch on all days & Dinners in Shillong
- Any shopping or personal expense
- Tips to hotel/camp staff and driver
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Authentic Government ID Card
- Comfortable warm clothing
- Sunscreen & lip balm
- Personal Medicines (if any)
- A rucksack bag and a day pack
- 3-litre water bladder or water bottle
- One cotton long sleeves and 2 short sleeve t-shirt
- 1 pair of gloves
- At least 2 long pants (trek pants and cargo pants are favourable)
- 4 sets of undergarments
- 2 pair of socks
- A small towel
- A rain jacket or a poncho
- Above-the-ankle waterproof and breathable hiking boots with good grip
- Flip flops/sandals
- Glucose powder
- Medicines for headaches, diarrhoea, motion sickness
- Toothpaste, toothbrush
- Paper soap, or sanitizer
- Sunscreen minimum of spf40 , lip balm, cold creams
- Body spray
- LED torch light
- How will you contact me once I register?
We will be mailing you the details a day or two before the event.
- Can I come alone?
Yes, many of our participants are solo travellers.
- Is it safe for a female solo traveller?
It is completely safe for a female solo traveller as our representatives will be there with you all the time. Moreover, most of our events have 60% female participation.
- What if I have a medical emergency?
We will carry first aid kit with us. The coordinators will be first aid certified. If the problem increases, we will quickly get you to closest medical attention possible.
- We will be staying in 3* resort at Cherrapunji and 3* hotel Shillong, Homestay at Nongriat & Camps at Shnongpdeng. The Hotel list is as follows:
- Cherrapunji: Sa-I-Mika Resort/ Abode of Clouds Resort /Similar – 3 Nights
- Shnongpdeng: Riverside Camping – 1 Night
- Shillong – Eee Cee Hotel/Similar – 2 Nights
- No Refund shall be made with respect to the initial booking amount for any cancellations. However,
- If cancellations are made 30 days before the start date of the trip, 50% of the trip cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made 15-30 days before the start date of the trip, 75% of the trip cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- If cancellations are made within 0-15 days before the start date of the trip, 100% of the trip cost will be charged as cancellation fees.
- In the case of unforeseen weather conditions or government restrictions, certain activities may be cancelled and in such cases, the operator will try his best to provide an alternate feasible activity. However, no refund will be provided for the same.